SanDisk brought suit against Round Rock Research in the District of Delaware last week, alleging that the patent assertion entity’s acquisition and enforcement of standard essential patents previously held by Micron Technology has violated federal and state antitrust laws and breached contractual commitments to license the patents on RAND terms. The action, Sandisk Corporation v.
- A couple weeks back, we noted a bid by Cisco, Motorola Solutions, and NETGEAR to expedite an appeal of their unsuccessful unfair competition claims against non-practicing entity Innovatio IP Ventures LLC. At a status hearing yesterday, however, Chief Judge James F. Holderman of the Northern District of Illinois denied the parties’ motion for entry of
In recent posts, we covered the briefs submitted by Samsung and Apple and the ITC Staff in response to the U.S. International Trade Commission’s request for additional briefing in Inv. No. 337-TA-794. We noted that several other parties also submitted responses, offering their views on how an exclusion order in this case might affect the public interest. These parties include:
- Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, and Micron Technology
- The Retail Industry Leaders’ Association
- The Business Software Alliance
- The Association for Competitive Technology
Each of these parties warns the ITC that allowing exclusion orders for FRAND-pledged standard-essential patents may have adverse effects on U.S. consumers and the U.S. economy, particularly future standards-setting activity. A brief summary of these public interest submissions is after the jump.
Continue Reading A final round-up of new public interest submissions in Samsung-Apple ITC case (Inv. No. 337-TA-794)
- Patent Peace in South Korea: Samsung and LG Electronics have settled their contentious patent and trade secret dispute relating to organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology that is widely used in flat-panel televisions and computer monitors. (via CNET)
- For the second time in a week, the Federal Circuit denied Apple’s request for an en banc